The latest search engine that emphasizes on protecting user’s privacy is the DuckDuckGo (DDG). This search engine is believed to avoid the filter bubble of personalized search engines. This unique search engine does not make profiles of users and thus show all users the same result if they entered the same search word. It also works on giving best than more results. The results are gathered from over 400 individual sources that include sites like Wikipedia, Bing, Yahoo Yandex
DuckDuckGo gives indexed results and relevant results called instant answers on top of the search page. Instant answers are retrieved from static data sources like text files or third party APIs (application programme interface). The relevant search results are known as ‘zeroclickinfo’ because the intention behind these results is to provide the searcher with desired information on the search result page itself. Information on the search result page would be enough and they need not go to other pages looking for data. The instant answers are maintained by GitHub, where anyone can work or build upon instant answers.
If you are still confused between using Google and DuckDuckGo, here are few important features of the new search engine that would force you to opt for DDG.
- Instant useful date: DDG gives you instant information about search query without having to go for another link, and this feature of DDG can be used from any corner of the globe. DDG also provides with all possible options, so that you can find specific results for the exact thing you are looking for. The suggestions would be arranged in categories so that searching would be easier.
- !Bang: This unique feature of the search engine would take you to the home page to perform the desired action. DDG stores a huge list of supported ‘!bangs’, and if you can’t find the desired one, you can also submit one. Few examples are !gi for Google images, !w for Wikipedia, !Gmail for Gmail inbox, !m for maps. The most commonly used !bangs will appear in the dropdown menu, so you need
nothave to memorize them.
- Instant information: DDG offers correct answers to queries given to it. It could answer questions related to weather like ‘Is it raining’ or ‘information on high or low tide in different places’. This search engine could help on knowing information like moon phase in the locality.
- Keyboard shortcuts: DDG offers many keyboard shortcuts for improving the user experience. Keyboard shortcuts like K and J would help you in browsing of searching results, Enter helps in opening a link. There are many more to choose from.
- Emoticons: DDG explains the keyboard shortcuts of different emoticons you are searching for. Difficult emoticons which Google fails to recognize are also recognized by DDG.
- Recipes: DDG has stored recipes of almost all dishes which are short and concise to help even a layman.
These are few goodies offered by DDG, there are many which you can find in other search engines and few which are unique to DDG. Since DDG is an open source, you can write or add plugins.